Historically, the 2 essential job seeker marketing documents have been the value proposition letter (VPL) and the resume. While these two items remain the foundation of an effective job search, having a professionally branded and well-rounded set of documents and online representations will put you at the top of the call list, especially when combined with customized job search strategies
Speed up your job search and book some interviews by portraying a unified, intriguing, and engaging image through your job seeker marketing materials, starting with these 5 items:
- Initiate a conversation with a VPL or cover letter. Keep it brief and informative. The VPL is not the place for your whole life story but rather key highlights that summarize your credibility and value. It should be short by design and succinctly tell your reader who you are and why they should care; short gets read.
- Tell your story with a strategically branded resume. In many cases, this will be your first impression with recruiters and must summarize your qualifications, employment history, and accomplishments in a way that strategically aligns your goals with your targeted title and industry.
- Get on board with a LinkedIn profile. Even if you are reluctant towards social media, the pandemic has elevated LinkedIn to a must-have level. Mid- to senior-level executives are expected to have a LinkedIn profile and setting up your profile effectively can prove to be an advantageous instrument in your transition.
- Tell your story with an executive biography. A biography is a versatile way to work a commentary into your job seeker marketing documents. It complements the resume in a narrative fashion that can also be used in business plans, VC firm submissions, management consulting, board submission nominations, board-level interviews, speaking engagements, and submissions for awards, advanced degrees, major media consideration, etc.
- Expand your online presence with a website. A professional personal website is beneficial if you are vetting national or global positions, and because it is available 24×7, it is a great passive networking tool. Websites tend to be viewed by decision-makers, and LinkedIn profiles tend to be viewed by recruiters. For more details, check out our Online Marketing
Above all, do not submit outdated job seeker marketing documents. Obsolete information will cause more confusion and raise more questions than any recruiter or decision-maker has time to ask. The primary objective in your CxO job search should be communicating authentic, accurate, and up-to-date information. To find out how we can help you modernize and keep your documents current, book a complimentary and confidential call with us here
Let Me Help You With Your Executive Job Search
C-suite and Board-level executives that have professionally polished, well branded and strategically aligned resumes and LinkedIn profiles not only enjoy easier transitions, more interest, and robust offers—often 25% to 75% above their previous compensation plans—they gain the competitive edge and strategies they need to manage their C-level career transitions as well as they run their companies. Let us take the guesswork out of your next C-level transition. Click here to set up a 15-minute introductory call
. We are interested in learning more about your goals and to see if we can help. We offer several executive resume writing services
including coaching; LinkedIn optimization; executive recruiter, private equity and venture capital distributions; and strategy-focused private coaching sessions.
Mary Elizabeth Bradford is the Founder and Executive Director of CEOresumewriter.com and Maryelizabethbradford.com and a past executive recruiter. A thought leader in the career services industry for over 20 years, she holds 5 distinct advanced certifications for senior-level resume writing, online branding and executive-level job search coaching (CERM, CMRW, CARW, MCD, NCOPE). She has been seen and heard in major media including Forbes, Time, WSJ, Newsweek and NBC affiliate stations. She holds 2 CDI TORI awards and is a top tier judge for the elite CDI TORI awards for four consecutive years. Mary Elizabeth Bradford’s elite team of award-winning, certified, top executive resume writers, former top executive recruiters, and global HR executives help many of the world’s premier C-suite, board members and thought leaders secure the transitions and compensation packages they want. She works with clients all over the globe.