Are you seeking your first or second board appointment? You can optimize your CEO resume to demonstrate your capabilities as both a CEO and board member by including key skills that boards often seek.
Each board is unique; however, most agree that the bulleted skills and abilities below are desired by boards seeking new members.
In addition to highlighting your skills and expertise as a CEO, consider which of the following skills and abilities are applicable to you and how you can incorporate them into your executive resume. Like many other top executives, you may opt to hire a certified executive resume writer to help craft your strategic message and align your executive resume to the board roles you wish to target. These skills should be showcased on the top half of the first page of your existing resume. Doing this will help your reader quickly develop a perception of your abilities, background, and experience as they consider you for a board nomination.
- Showcase past and current board roles held.
- Include any other leadership roles outside of your current CEO role.
- Share your expertise as an advisor or industry thought leader. This can include keynote speaking or major media contributions.
- Feature any awards and recognition.
- Demonstrate your industry reputation, perhaps in the form of a short endorsement quote from a high-profile individual.
In addition to the above, you may consider highlighting any of the following areas where you have experience and value to offer:
- Risk management
- Governance issues
- Thought leadership in a particular industry
- Leading strategy
- Financial stewardship
- Culture shaping and people development
- Regulated industries
- Shareholder relations
- Creating and leading vision
You do not necessarily have to alter the primary message of your CEO resume; instead, layer in these additional categories in an organized way so that your reader can quickly comprehend your value points as they relate to a board role. The most important information to always keep in your CEO resume includes:
- Industry expertise
- Level of P&L managed
- Reach of geographical oversight
- Demonstration of metric-driven accomplishments
- Key superpowers such as driving growth through M&As or corporate reorganization
We are known for developing powerful board resumes for our C-suite clients. Book a call with us today to find out how we may be able to help you achieve your goals. All calls are complimentary and confidential.