More than 50% of employers have found content online that made them decide not to hire a candidate, according to a 2018 CareerBuilder Survey. At the same time, 47% of employers surveyed say that if they can’t find anything about an applicant online, they are less likely to invite that candidate in for an interview.* The implication is that as a CEO, COO, CDO, CFO, CMO, CIO, CTO, or other CxO executive, your digital footprint can have a massive influence on your CxO job search.
Everything you do online leaves an impression. Every action you take, whether sending an email, messaging a friend, posting on social media, or just reading a blog article, leaves behind a trail of data. This is your digital footprint. As implied above, potential employers can go ahead and look you up online without your consent, and what they find can impact their hiring decision. When managing your CxO job search, you can proactively manage your digital footprint yourself.
How to Improve Your Online Reputation for Your CxO Job Search
- Employ online best practices. Maintaining your digital privacy begins with risk mitigation; use different passwords for every website, keep an eye out for email scams, and control your cookies by taking as much control over what information websites are allowed to collect from you as you can.
- Use 3 email addresses: personal, professional, and spam. Creating a division between your personal and professional online personas can help you tailor your activity to specific circles, allowing you to maintain a different level of professional interaction. A spam or throwaway email address is perfect for websites that you never want to hear from again but say they require an email address.
- Conduct a broad internet search. Search your name on Google to check the top hits, images, and videos for content. If you want to go deeper and find false information, negative news stories, fake accounts, or misleading associations, consider undertaking a complete online audit.
- Unsubscribe or delete accounts you no longer use. Since the internet has been around, your personal and professional interests and goals have probably changed. Deleting accounts that you don’t use regularly or are now irrelevant can help you in your CxO job search by helping your relevant pages be found first and also lowering your risk of being involved in a data breach.
- Build your positive digital image. Executives in a job search can stay active on platforms and accounts that enhance their professional brand, such as LinkedIn and Twitter. You can even claim a domain name with your name and create a search engine-optimized professional website to put you at the top of the search.
To find out how we can help you perfect your LinkedIn profile and professional website, book a complimentary and confidential call with us here.
Let Me Help You With Your Executive Job Search
C-suite and Board-level executives that have professionally polished, well branded and strategically aligned resumes and LinkedIn profiles not only enjoy easier transitions, more interest, and robust offers—often 25% to 75% above their previous compensation plans—they gain the competitive edge and strategies they need to manage their C-level career transitions as well as they run their companies. Let us take the guesswork out of your next C-level transition. Click here to set up a 15-minute introductory call. We are interested in learning more about your goals and to see if we can help. We offer several executive resume writing services including coaching; LinkedIn optimization; executive recruiter, private equity and venture capital distributions; and strategy-focused private coaching sessions.
Mary Elizabeth Bradford is the Founder and Executive Director of CEOresumewriter.com and Maryelizabethbradford.com and a past executive recruiter. A thought leader in the career services industry for over 20 years, she holds 5 distinct advanced certifications for senior-level resume writing, online branding and executive-level job search coaching (CERM, CMRW, CARW, MCD, NCOPE). She has been seen and heard in major media including Forbes, Time, WSJ, Newsweek and NBC affiliate stations. She holds 2 CDI TORI awards and is a top tier judge for the elite CDI TORI awards for four consecutive years. Mary Elizabeth Bradford’s elite team of award-winning, certified, top executive resume writers, former top executive recruiters, and global HR executives help many of the world’s premier C-suite, board members and thought leaders secure the transitions and compensation packages they want. She works with clients all over the globe.