Let the interrogation begin. You have shaken hands with your interviewers and sat down at the board room table with these strangers; now it’s time to provide calm, authentic, and thoughtful responses to intrusive questions about the most stressful moments of your career. No big deal, all you need to do is build strong, trusting relationships with your interviewers and convince them that you are the answer to all their problems.
Luckily, you know your executive career marketing documents inside out and upside down, and you can elaborate on them. You’ve researched the company through and through. Arguably the most challenging part of the interview to prepare for is your responses to the questions because you never know what exactly your executive interviewers are going to ask.
The trick to preparing your responses is knowing what details your interviewers are trying to get. Executive interviews are less focused on the day-to-day technical details and more interested in bigger-picture, long-term themes. Ultimately, questions can be boiled down into 5 specific c-suite skill themes:
- Change Management
Below are 5 common questions to practice categorizing into the themes listed above. Many questions target more than 1 theme, and the more you can capture in your responses, the better.
Common Executive Interview Questions
- “Tell me about a time you increased cross-functional communication and collaboration across your organization?” Leadership, change management, and communication
- “When have you effectively implemented a large-scale change in your organization? What did you do that led to success?” Change management, leadership, and empathy
- “Tell me about one of the hardest decisions you’ve ever had to make.” Self-awareness
- “How have you evaluated an employee’s job performance in the past? What do you do to encourage underperformers and reward top performers?” Leadership, empathy, and communication
- “Tell me about the biggest failure of your career. Why was it a failure, what was the situation, and how did you respond?” Leadership, self-awareness
To find out how we can help you prepare for your next executive interview, book a complimentary and confidential call with us here.