Congratulations! You scheduled a board interview! Now what?
A board interview will have a different focus and flow than the average CXO interview. The most productive board interviews will be cooperative, informative, and conversational. Ultimately, the board interview should be a balanced 2-way evaluation; both board and candidate aim to make an informed decision on whether or not there is a mutual fit.
To help create a naturally flowing and well-rounded discussion, focus on enabling each party to get to know, understand, and trust one another. It doesn’t have to be a question-and-answer period; you should be comfortable taking on a partnership role in your board interview. You are as much a candidate for the board as the board is a candidate for your professional career.
Luckily, you don’t have to wing it! Here are 5 tips to go into your board interview prepared and with confidence.
How to Prepare for a Board Interview
- Provide board-specific career marketing documents. A board resume should focus more on strategy, governance, leadership ability, emotional intelligence, and values, as opposed to the hard metrics that are the focus of CXO resumes.
- Do your research. Get the names of the individuals you’ll be meeting with ahead of time and look them up online. Read their LinkedIn profiles and their bios. Go through the board pitch book in detail. Analyze the skills of your interviewers, identify gaps in their expertise, and plan to speak about how you will fill those gaps.
- Demonstrate your understanding of the relationship between strategy and governance, the board’s role in setting the organizational culture, and how you have used values-based decision-making in the past.
- Showcase yourself as a well-rounded candidate. Talk about emotional intelligence, mindfulness intelligence, and adversity intelligence. The most impactful board members are self-aware, socially aware, adaptable, and perseverant.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions! As described above, you are vetting the board as much as they are vetting you. Ask about their values, culture, processes, structure, or how they communicate. Ask anything that will help make your decision easier, should you be offered a seat at the table.
To find out how we can help you secure your next board seat, book a complimentary and confidential call with us here.
Let Me Help You With Your Executive Job Search
C-suite and Board-level executives that have professionally polished, well branded and strategically aligned resumes and LinkedIn profiles not only enjoy easier transitions, more interest, and robust offers—often 25% to 75% above their previous compensation plans—they gain the competitive edge and strategies they need to manage their C-level career transitions as well as they run their companies. Let us take the guesswork out of your next C-level transition. Click here to set up a 15-minute introductory call. We are interested in learning more about your goals and to see if we can help. We offer several executive resume writing services including coaching; LinkedIn optimization; executive recruiter, private equity and venture capital distributions; and strategy-focused private coaching sessions.
Mary Elizabeth Bradford is the Founder and Executive Director of CEOresumewriter.com and Maryelizabethbradford.com and a past executive recruiter. A thought leader in the career services industry for over 20 years, she holds 5 distinct advanced certifications for senior-level resume writing, online branding and executive-level job search coaching (CERM, CMRW, CARW, MCD, NCOPE). She has been seen and heard in major media including Forbes, Time, WSJ, Newsweek and NBC affiliate stations. She holds 2 CDI TORI awards and is a top tier judge for the elite CDI TORI awards for four consecutive years. Mary Elizabeth Bradford’s elite team of award-winning, certified, top executive resume writers, former top executive recruiters, and global HR executives help many of the world’s premier C-suite, board members and thought leaders secure the transitions and compensation packages they want. She works with clients all over the globe.