An executive career journey isn’t as straightforward as climbing the corporate ladder anymore. No magic formula will guarantee career recognition and promotions until you reach the top. The career trajectory vision has morphed from a vertical bottom-up ladder to more of a lattice, with vertical, horizontal, and diagonal opportunities. The path through the career lattice is shaped by an individual’s personal and professional aspirations, as well as their current company’s needs and goals. The modern executive career journey requires strategy.
Considering this, try not to view your journey as a one-way path with a start and a finish but rather as a matrix of learning experiences that have molded you into the high-performing executive you are today. Approaching your career path like a puzzle and refining your career stories will help you uncover forward-thinking solutions and continue to build on your previous successes. When times get tough or something unexpected or out of your control happens, falling back on this career mindset will help you persevere, bounce back, and make your next move. Being grateful for any and all progress and success, no matter how small, is the foundation of an executive career journey.
Is Your Executive Career On the Right Path?
Ask yourself the following questions to help guide your career decisions. Write down your answers and revisit them regularly.
- What are your top 3 personal values? What are your top 3 professional values? Is there overlap?
- How do you define success?
- Do you sometimes catch yourself doing something repeatedly, hoping for different results? What can you do to change the habit?
- What one thing would you change about your career if you could?
- Who are your cheerleaders? Who inspires you? How can you engage them in your executive career journey?
To find out how we can help you breathe new life into your executive career journey, book a complimentary and confidential call with us here.