A quick online query will point out the importance of targeting your CEO resume to a specific position. Despite your wealth of senior-level experience and your wide range of highly developed skills, aiming for a jack-of-all-trades message on your executive resume is not the most effective way to approach your job search. It makes it harder for a recruiter to fit you into a role if your resume is too broad or vague.
Now that you’ve decided to explore executive employment opportunities, the first step is to identify your target position. Perhaps you fit into one of these categories, or maybe you need a little more guidance to determine your career path and would benefit from executive employment coaching. Once you have identified your target c-level position, you can take steps to tailor your CEO resume to that position.
- Put the title of your desired position in the headline right under your name. You can easily swap out this title depending on the job title of the specific position you are applying for.
- Highlight keywords from the relevant job description throughout your CEO resume, especially in your headlines, headers, branding paragraph, and core competencies. Doing so will allow your reader to easily see that your skill set matches their job requirements.
- Use headers creatively. Try something like “20+ years of Executive-Level Success” instead of simply “Employment Experience.”
- Strategically organize the bullets under each position, putting the most relevant bullets at the top. For example, if you are targeting a CIO, CISO, or CTO position, put technology-related accomplishments first and leave employee engagement-related accomplishments for the end.
- Use formatting and design to draw your reader into your resume and point them towards the information you want them to see. Focus on specific words, sections, and accomplishments that are relevant to your target position.
If you feel like you need more help, book a complimentary and confidential call with us here.
Ready to Work with One of the Best CEO Resume Writers in the Industry?
Mary Elizabeth Bradford is a Certified Executive Resume Master (CERM), Internationally Certified Master Resume Writer (CMRW), Certified Master Career Director (MCD) and Certified International Advanced Resume Writer (CARW) and a member of Career Directors International, Career Thought Leaders, The Professional Association of Resume Writers and The National Resume Writers Association.
Mary Elizabeth Bradford and her elite team of award-winning, certified, top executive resume writers and former top executive recruiters and global HR executives help many of the world’s premier CEOs and thought leaders secure the transitions and compensation packages they want.
If you’re interested in learning how I can create a powerful executive resume for you, click here to set up a 15-minute introductory call. I offer several executive resume writing services that also include coaching, as well as LinkedIn optimization, resume distribution, and more. Let me help you create a career package and strategy that work.