Congratulations on your new Chief Transformation Officer (CTO) role! Did you know that many of the skills and approaches you have developed and perfected in your career as an executive transformation leader can be applied to your job transition? As a change management executive, you’re no stranger to complex processes and discrete initiatives. You know how to instigate change on a positive note, galvanize employees to action, and implement strategies that have an organization-wide impact.
Like organizational transformation, job transitions are stressful, regardless of why the transition is occurring. A change in employment is often found on lists of major life stressors because the effects permeate throughout an individual’s entire life. Executive job transitions happen regularly throughout a career, whether they are within the same organization or require a change in employer.
5 Ways to Set Yourself Up for Success in Your New CTO Role
- Reflect & Refuel. Take some time to prepare yourself for this new life chapter by contemplating your past and future and taking a break to regroup.
- Create Positive Momentum. Your first few weeks in the chair are the best chance you’ll get build energetic engagement. Start identifying and celebrating team wins as soon as possible to gain confidence and prove that you are the right person for the role.
- Align Your Story. Everyone you meet will ask you who you are and where you came from and ultimately make assumptions about you and what you stand for. If you have your story ready to go in a way that aligns with your intentions, actions, and impact, responding to these inquiries will be a breeze.
- Communicate Expectations. You will interact with new stakeholders in your new role who will all have expectations of you. Some expectations will be expressed outright, and some will be willingly and unwillingly suppressed. The sooner you get these expectations out in the open, the better.
- Focus Your Attention. It can be hard not to keep looking over your shoulder at your previous job, wondering if you made the right move or how your colleagues are doing in your absence. To avoid being sucked back into your last role—especially if your new position is in the same organization—be transparent with yourself and others about where your time and attention will be spent.
To find out how we can help you start your new CTO role off on the right foot, book a complimentary and confidential call with us here.
Ready to Work with One of the Best Executive Career Coaches in the Industry?
C-suite and Board-level executives that have professionally polished, well branded and strategically aligned resumes and LinkedIn profiles not only enjoy easier transitions, more interest, and robust offers—often 25% to 75% above their previous compensation plans—they gain the competitive edge and strategies they need to manage their C-level career transitions as well as they run their companies. Let us take the guesswork out of your next C-level transition. Click here to set up a 15-minute introductory call. We are interested in learning more about your goals and to see if we can help. We offer several executive resume writing services including coaching; LinkedIn optimization; executive recruiter, private equity and venture capital distributions; and strategy-focused private coaching sessions.
Mary Elizabeth Bradford is the Founder and Executive Director of CEOresumewriter.com and Maryelizabethbradford.com and a past executive recruiter. A thought leader in the career services industry for over 20 years, she holds 5 distinct advanced certifications for senior-level resume writing, online branding and executive-level job search coaching (CERM, CMRW, CARW, MCD, NCOPE). She has been seen and heard in major media including Forbes, Time, WSJ, Newsweek and NBC affiliate stations. She holds 2 CDI TORI awards and is a top tier judge for the elite CDI TORI awards for four consecutive years. Mary Elizabeth Bradford’s elite team of award-winning, certified, top executive resume writers, former top executive recruiters, and global HR executives help many of the world’s premier C-suite, board members and thought leaders secure the transitions and compensation packages they want. She works with clients all over the globe.