In a CIO interview, your number 1 prerogative should be putting your best foot forward. Interviews are high-stakes conversations that require significant preparation, regardless of how agile and eloquent a communicator you may be. Whether in-person or virtually, your goal is to impress your interviewers, develop trust, make a genuine connection, and ultimately inspire an offer.
It’s no surprise that virtual interviews have been dominating the selection process recently. There are pros and cons: while they are more time- and cost-efficient, they also eliminate non-verbal communication and body language and present many opportunities for technological difficulties.
Combine the tips below with our Executive Interview Guide for the CXO Candidate, and you will be unstoppable!
How to Prepare for a Virtual CIO interview
- Test, and test again. Launch your app or software in advance of your interview and make sure everything is operating smoothly. The last thing you need is to be delayed by a computer program that needs updating.
- Sign on fashionably early. To be early, you need to know exactly what date and time your interview is scheduled. Double-check time zones and sign on 3–5 minutes early.
- High-quality sound is everything. Built-in computer, laptop, and tablet speakers and microphones are not always the best quality. Low-quality audio can make or break an interview, so consider investing in some earbuds with built-in microphones to ensure your interviewer doesn’t miss a single word.
- Treat it like an in-person interview, plus a cheat sheet. Dress and style yourself as if you were going for an in-person interview. You can take advantage of the virtual nature of the interview and have a sticky note cheat sheet of talking points and questions stuck to your monitor that your interviewer won’t be able to see.
- Lights, camera, action! Think about what your interviewer is going to see when you turn on your camera. Your face should be well-lit, the camera should be at eye level, and your background should be as neutral as possible.
One last bonus tip! Pump yourself up, calm your pre-interview nerves, and get your brain ready to talk by doing about 1 minute of intense physical activity shortly before logging on. A solo dance party, jumping jacks, or a flight of stairs should be enough to energize you and stimulate your best interview!
To find out more about how we can help you ace your next virtual CIO interview, book a complimentary and confidential call with us here.
Let Me Help You With Your Executive Job Search
C-suite and Board-level executives that have professionally polished, well branded and strategically aligned resumes and LinkedIn profiles not only enjoy easier transitions, more interest, and robust offers—often 25% to 75% above their previous compensation plans—they gain the competitive edge and strategies they need to manage their C-level career transitions as well as they run their companies. Let us take the guesswork out of your next C-level transition. Click here to set up a 15-minute introductory call. We are interested in learning more about your goals and to see if we can help. We offer several executive resume writing services including coaching; LinkedIn optimization; executive recruiter, private equity and venture capital distributions; and strategy-focused private coaching sessions.
Mary Elizabeth Bradford is the Founder and Executive Director of CEOresumewriter.com and Maryelizabethbradford.com and a past executive recruiter. A thought leader in the career services industry for over 20 years, she holds 5 distinct advanced certifications for senior-level resume writing, online branding and executive-level job search coaching (CERM, CMRW, CARW, MCD, NCOPE). She has been seen and heard in major media including Forbes, Time, WSJ, Newsweek and NBC affiliate stations. She holds 2 CDI TORI awards and is a top tier judge for the elite CDI TORI awards for four consecutive years. Mary Elizabeth Bradford’s elite team of award-winning, certified, top executive resume writers, former top executive recruiters, and global HR executives help many of the world’s premier C-suite, board members and thought leaders secure the transitions and compensation packages they want. She works with clients all over the globe.