The transition from CFO to CEO is not exactly natural, logical, or expected. CFOs may not be considered viable CEO candidates because their resumes don’t usually demonstrate full P&L oversight. However, great CFOs hold many traits that are transferrable to great CEOs. For example, they approach problem-solving and decision-making with a focus on details, data, logical thinking, ethics, and integrity. That being said, the change will not be an easy one; if you are a CFO looking to transition into a CEO role, consider exploring executive career coaching options.
The good news is that you can strategically use your resume to facilitate your job transition. We know that a targeted resume is more effective than a broad resume; you just have to write it so that it sings your praises as someone who already has the experience necessary to be a great CEO. Yes, you will demonstrate your financial expertise, but you will also focus on your strong business acumen, empathetic leadership, and diverse knowledge, skills, and abilities across commercial and operational challenges.
5 Highlights that Will Update Your Resume from CFO to CEO
- Team & Corporate Culture Development. Provide examples of times when you led teams to high performance and developed robust and engaged corporate cultures.
- Far-Reaching Professional Network. Show that you have professional connections across departments, industries, and business scopes.
- Sweeping Reputation. Demonstrate that you have impacted the entire organization and have positive upward, downward, and lateral relationships. Include testimonials that speak to your financial expertise and empathetic leadership abilities.
- All-Inclusive Experience. Give examples of your successes across functional challenges, strategic project management, international experience, and people leadership.
- Interdepartmental Collaboration. Describe ways you have partnered with other business functions outside the typical realm of the CFO to realize organization-wide success.
To find out how we can help you transform your resume from CFO to CEO roles, book a complimentary and confidential call with us here.
Ready to Work with One of the Best Resume Writers in the Industry?
Mary Elizabeth Bradford is a Certified Executive Resume Master (CERM), Internationally Certified Master Resume Writer (CMRW), Certified Master Career Director (MCD) and Certified International Advanced Resume Writer (CARW) and a member of Career Directors International, Career Thought Leaders, The Professional Association of Resume Writers and The National Resume Writers Association.
Mary Elizabeth Bradford and her elite team of award-winning, certified, top executive resume writers and former top executive recruiters and global HR executives help many of the world’s premier CEOs and thought leaders secure the transitions and compensation packages they want.
If you’re interested in learning how I can create a powerful executive resume for you, click here to set up a 15-minute introductory call. I offer several executive resume writing services that also include coaching, as well as LinkedIn optimization, resume distribution, and more. Let me help you create a career package and strategy that work.