Quick! Without cheating, what are the most important things to include on your CSO resume? Even if it has been years since you’ve had to write one, you likely listed name, contact information, employment history, and education. If you’ve stayed current on executive resume and job transition trends, you likely also know that adding a headline, professional summary, and core competencies can strategically give you a leg up on other candidates.
However, as a modern CSO who needs to stand out in this fiercely competitive job market, you need more than the basic resume table of contents. You need a resume that conveys a human being with diverse leadership skills, not just a job description. Transcend the typical outdated job application documents with career marketing documents that share the following desirable CSO leadership traits.
Must-Have Leadership Traits for Your CSO Resume
- Intensity & Drive. Define your “why.” Why do you do what you do? The greatest CSOs are intrinsically motivated by their work, and it shows through their story and accomplishments. Your CSO resume should show that you are excited by your work and determined to succeed.
- Empathy & Acceptance. Employee productivity happens when staff feel included in the organization’s direction and that their contribution directly impacts organizational success. Effective CSOs lead with compassion and embrace a workforce with diversified experience, perspectives, and skills because they know this variety results in higher employee engagement, productivity, and creativity and innovation.
- Trust & Autonomy. Employee empowerment starts at the top of the organization. When executive leaders trust and empower their employees to make decisions and control their day-to-day activities, employees reciprocate that trust, perform better, are more creative, and will stick around longer.
- Self-Cognition & Mindfulness. The strongest CSOs have excellent emotional intelligence skills, meaning they have high self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and relationship management skills. They connect with and inspire employees to top performance through empathetic communication.
- Endless Curiosity. CSOs must nurture complex cognitive skills and focus on continuous learning and improvement to avoid obsolescence and design a forward-thinking and agile organization. Always ask questions and look for better ways to do things.
To find out how we can help tie these traits into your CSO resume, book a complimentary and confidential call with us here.
Ready to Work with One of the Best CEO Resume Writers in the Industry?
Mary Elizabeth Bradford is a Certified Executive Resume Master (CERM), Internationally Certified Master Resume Writer (CMRW), Certified Master Career Director (MCD) and Certified International Advanced Resume Writer (CARW) and a member of Career Directors International, Career Thought Leaders, The Professional Association of Resume Writers and The National Resume Writers Association.
Mary Elizabeth Bradford and her elite team of award-winning, certified, top executive resume writers and former top executive recruiters and global HR executives help many of the world’s premier CEOs and thought leaders secure the transitions and compensation packages they want.
If you’re interested in learning how I can create a powerful executive resume for you, click here to set up a 15-minute introductory call. I offer several executive resume writing services that also include coaching, as well as LinkedIn optimization, resume distribution, and more. Let me help you create a career package and strategy that work.