If you’re feeling tapped out in your career as a CxO, it may be time to consider becoming a member of a board of directors. They are a perfect opportunity to maintain and use your expertise while developing new specialties and experiences.
You should know, though, board selection requirements and processes are significantly different from the mainstream recruitment processes you have probably experienced in the past. Boards have precise categorical requirements in who they bring on board to ensure all members work well together and present the right balance of skillset, diversity, and passion.
Don’t go in with your regular CxO resume; make sure you have a board resume that is optimized for board positions. You can also use the following information about the board recruitment process to your advantage.
How to Customize Your Executive Resume for Board Recruitment
- Every board is unique. Knowing the categorical requirements mentioned above can help position you for the right board position. Do you fit what they are looking for in terms of mindset, roles, diversity, engagement, people, strategy, agenda, and culture?
- The process is ongoing. The Governance Committee is continually searching for candidates and building a robust candidate pipeline. With the right board resume, there is never a bad time to reach out and express interest.
- Interviews may look a little different. In addition to one-on-one interviews with individual members, they may ask you to sit in on a board meeting or volunteer some time to see the organization in action.
- An open board seat means there is a skill gap. This is your time to shine. What do you have that they need? Are they lacking a networker, a specific point of view, or a fundraising expert?
- Orientations are targeted and thorough. Once offered a seat, your first few days, weeks, and months may look a little different from mainstream CxO onboarding. They may assign you a mentor or ask you to attend corporate events to introduce you to the organization.
To find out how we can help you expand your board opportunities, book a complimentary and confidential call with us here.