Not all CxO resumes are created equally. If you have ever been on the hiring side of the recruitment process, you have almost definitely experienced this firsthand. You may know a good resume when you see one, but do you know how to write one?
Check your resume to make sure it *doesn’t* do or include the following:
- Jack-of-all-Trades. Do not ruin your chances of a call-back by being too vague. It makes it harder for your reader to picture you fulfilling a role if the message you are trying to send is that you can do everything. Identify your target position and write your resume for that role. Any marketing professional will tell you the importance of identifying your target audience. Your executive resume is no different; after all, it is a career marketing document.
- Generic Summary. A modern resume must-have is an introductory professional summary. Think of it this way: if your resume is a movie, your professional summary is the trailer. Avoid using canned language (hard worker, team player, self-motivated), and instead focus on your big picture career story and skills.
- “Me” Focus. Contrary to popular belief, your resume isn’t about you. It’s about your potential employer and what you can do for them in the context of their business needs. The whole document must be relevant and easy to navigate and read.
- CxO resumes use a unique type of language. “I,” “me,” and “my” are considered informal. Instead, write in implied first-person—use first-person verbs but eliminate the pronoun. Start each phrase with a strong action verb.
- Standard Template Formatting. It’s easy to find a resume template online or in Word, but many are overused and hard to customize. You don’t want potential employers wondering if they’ve seen the same resume for a different candidate. Regardless of the template, to demonstrate your fit for the position, the most pertinent information from your career must come first.
To find out how we can help you design a resume that will get you interviews, book a complimentary and confidential call with us here.
Ready to Work with One of the Best CxO Resume Writers in the Industry?
Mary Elizabeth Bradford is a Certified Executive Resume Master (CERM), Internationally Certified Master Resume Writer (CMRW), Certified Master Career Director (MCD) and Certified International Advanced Resume Writer (CARW) and a member of Career Directors International, Career Thought Leaders, The Professional Association of Resume Writers and The National Resume Writers Association.
Mary Elizabeth Bradford and her elite team of award-winning, certified, top executive resume writers and former top executive recruiters and global HR executives help many of the world’s premier CEOs and thought leaders secure the transitions and compensation packages they want.
If you’re interested in learning how I can create a powerful executive resume for you, click here to set up a 15-minute introductory call. I offer several executive resume writing services that also include coaching, as well as LinkedIn optimization, resume distribution, and more. Let me help you create a career package and strategy that work.