Here’s a hard truth: the resume you’ve used to get you to your current CEO, COO, CDO, CFO, CMO, CIO, CTO, or other CxO executive position won’t cut it when it comes to landing your first (or next) board seat. The two documents have highly differentiated audiences and must be specifically targeted to each purpose.
A CEO resume’s job is to highlight your quantifiable accomplishments and provide the context of your employment experience. A board resume, on the other hand, presents your entire career history and overall leadership profile, leaving off most of the metrics-driven achievements you’ve learned to highlight in the past.
The sections of a board resume will look very similar to an executive resume—professional summary, core strengths, board involvement, career history, education, publications, etc.—but here is where they differ.
Board Resumes vs. CEO Resumes
- Board resumes summarize high-level leadership ability, describing the things that make the board candidate a good leader with a spotlight on emotional intelligence, mindful intelligence, and grit/resiliency.
- Board resumes blend personal and professional values with the board and company values, specifically showing the overlap between the two parties.
- Board resumes provide more details about an individual’s independent thinking and thought autonomy, going above and beyond an individual’s tactical experience.
- Board resumes go beyond revenue growth figures and take the leadership aspect a step further with a focus on strategy, governance, and values-based decision-making.
- Board resumes cover soft skills and the board candidate’s overall leadership profile, which are not necessarily measurable or quantifiable.
Adapting your existing CEO resume to target board positions will take more than tweaking a few keywords. If you are considering your first or next board role and need a board-ready resume, book a complimentary and confidential call with us here.
Ready to Work with One of the Best Board Resume Writers in the Industry?
Mary Elizabeth Bradford is a Certified Executive Resume Writer (CERW), Certified Executive Resume Master (CERM), Certified Master Resume Writer & Executive Editor (CMRW+EE), Certified Master Career Director (MCD), Certified International Advanced Resume Writer (CARW), and Nationally Certified Online Profile Expert (NCOPE). She has received the International Board Director Competency Designation (IBDC.D), Mindfulness Intelligence Leadership Excellence Certification (MQLE.D), and is a member of Career Directors International, Career Thought Leaders, The Professional Association of Resume Writers, The National Resume Writers Association, and Affiliate Member of the Institute of Coaching at McLean, Harvard Medical School Affiliate.
Mary Elizabeth Bradford and her elite team of award-winning, certified, top executive resume writers and former top executive recruiters and global HR executives help many of the world’s premier CEOs and thought leaders secure the transitions and compensation packages they want.
If you’re interested in learning how I can create a powerful executive resume for you, click here to set up a 15-minute introductory call. I offer several executive resume writing services that also include coaching, as well as LinkedIn optimization, resume distribution, and more. Let me help you create a career package and strategy that work.