As a board director, you have a lengthy list of priorities for 2023. A looming recession, intense talent competition, heavy inflation, persistent supply chain disruptions, and regulatory requirement changes are weighing heavily on the minds of boards of directors. Combined with what seems like a faster-paced changing environment than what we may have experienced in the past, this is, without a doubt, going to be a very challenging year.
A word of caution: don’t let these daunting factors overshadow the importance of having an up-to-date set of board documents. In a recent article, we covered why board candidates need a set of board documents separate from their executive resumes. For more information, consider working directly with a board resume writing firm that will help you make sure your board resume and board documents meet the standards for board candidacy submissions.
If you are a first-time or long-time board director compiling information to write your board resume or BOD documents, make sure you include these 5 must-have keywords:
- Risk Oversight: Developing policies and procedures and raising awareness about potential economic and strategic risks in areas such as third-party (and fourth-, fifth-, and sixth-party) resilience, cybersecurity, stakeholder and customer expectations, crisis management, and corporate reputation.
- Governance Structures & Environmental, Social, & Governance (ESG): Managing the quickly expanding ESG environment, including climate change, decarbonization, social and geopolitical factors, elections, stakeholder relationships, and transparency.
- Strategic Alignment: Driving decision-making, governance, and operating models by strategically aligning sourcing, business, and risk management objectives.
- Human Capital: Building sustainable strategies to combat talent shortages, enhance employee retention and engagement, and maximize productivity and performance.
- Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion (DE&I): Identifying information, skill, and representation gaps and broadening board expertise and perspectives.
If you are struggling with writing your board resume or board documents, know that there are professional board resume writers who specialize in BOD career transitions, including writing board documents and board resumes for Board Directors. The best board of director resume writers will advise you to differentiate between your executive resume and your board documents. To find out more, book a complimentary and confidential call with us here.