When was the last time you updated your CXO resume? Did you struggle because you felt like you were bragging, failing to effectively communicate your value, or just didn’t know where to start? Whether you are currently unemployed, know you will be in the future, or are exploring business opportunities, you need a resume that will land you some interviews.
The good news is that there are thousands of professional executive resume writers out there who know exactly how to craft winning CEO/COO/CDO/CFO/CMO/CIO/CTO and other c-level executive resumes. They have the education, certification, and expertise to help you land your next CXO role. Here are some of their trade secrets.
What Executive Resume Writers Wish You Knew
- Accomplishments vs. Responsibilities. If your CXO resume reads like a job description, rewrite it. It’s boring and ineffective. Use your previous accomplishments—quantified, whenever possible—to prove your expertise and describe the lasting impact you have had on your previous employers.
- A “good” resume isn’t good enough. If you want a “good” CXO resume, all you have to do is run through a small checklist of items: professional summary, core competencies, employment history, and education. However, employers don’t call every candidate with a “good” resume.
- An “effective” resume gets a callback. Employers call CXO candidates who have effective resumes, not just good resumes. Effective resumes demonstrably blend the candidate’s goals and previous success with what the employer is looking for.
- No target = limited opportunities. Portraying too broad of a scope can dramatically limit your chances of getting called for an interview. Instead, target your CXO resume to a specific type of position, and use metrics, KPIs, and language consistent with that type of position (i.e., don’t talk up your marketing accomplishments if you are targeting CFO roles).
- Take a step back. It can be hard to identify your value proposition because of your proximity to the situation. Taking a step back and reflecting on your strengths and weaknesses will help you define what you bring to a position that no other candidate can.
To find out how we can help you define and communicate your CXO value proposition, book a complimentary and confidential call with us here.
Ready to Work with One of the Best Executive Resume Writers in the Industry?
Mary Elizabeth Bradford is a Certified Executive Resume Master (CERM), Internationally Certified Master Resume Writer (CMRW), Certified Master Career Director (MCD) and Certified International Advanced Resume Writer (CARW) and a member of Career Directors International, Career Thought Leaders, The Professional Association of Resume Writers and The National Resume Writers Association.
Mary Elizabeth Bradford and her elite team of award-winning, certified, top executive resume writers and former top executive recruiters and global HR executives help many of the world’s premier CEOs and thought leaders secure the transitions and compensation packages they want.
If you’re interested in learning how I can create a powerful executive resume for you, click here to set up a 15-minute introductory call. I offer several executive resume writing services that also include coaching, as well as LinkedIn optimization, resume distribution, and more. Let me help you create a career package and strategy that work.