When was the last time you updated your executive resume? Did you become frustrated trying to describe your accomplishments and results without feeling like you were bragging? Or did you struggle to come up with what to say about your strengths and achievements?
Professional executive resume writers exist for a reason: resume writing is hard! Not only that, but CxO resumes are high-stakes documents that can change and impact your career trajectory, for better or worse. An effective CxO resume communicates your skills with confidence and enthusiasm, speaks to your target market and position, and provides concrete proof of your strengths and achievements.
Why is resume writing so hard?
- Let’s refer to the first line in this article: “When was the last time you updated your executive resume?” You don’t do it every day! Just like problem-solving, communicating, and collaborating, it takes practice, skill, and knowledge to become good at it.
- Resumes use a unique type of language. They are written in implied first person, without articles, determiners, or pronouns, and blend stories and metrics into a believable, engaging, and readable document.
- It can be incredibly challenging to write about yourself!
Potential employers want to see what you’ve done in the past to envision what you could do for them. If you’re struggling to reign in your extensive executive career history, start by thinking about some of your proudest and most impactful moments with current and previous employers. Then, use the CAR method to make them concrete.
Using the CAR Method to Create Powerful Accomplishments
- C: Challenge. Think of a challenge, obstacle, or problem that you or the company faced.
- A: Action. Describe the actions you took to resolve the challenge/obstacle/problem.
- R: Results. Outline what happened as a result of your actions. Start your sentences with quantifiable results whenever possible.
To find out how we can help you design an effective resume that focuses on your professional results, book a complimentary and confidential call with us here.
Ready to Work with One of the Best CEO Resume Writers in the Industry?
Mary Elizabeth Bradford is a Certified Executive Resume Master (CERM), Internationally Certified Master Resume Writer (CMRW), Certified Master Career Director (MCD) and Certified International Advanced Resume Writer (CARW) and a member of Career Directors International, Career Thought Leaders, The Professional Association of Resume Writers and The National Resume Writers Association.
Mary Elizabeth Bradford and her elite team of award-winning, certified, top executive resume writers and former top executive recruiters and global HR executives help many of the world’s premier CEOs and thought leaders secure the transitions and compensation packages they want.
If you’re interested in learning how I can create a powerful executive resume for you, click here to set up a 15-minute introductory call. I offer several executive resume writing services that also include coaching, as well as LinkedIn optimization, resume distribution, and more. Let me help you create a career package and strategy that work.